What does one do when bored, sick and stuck indoors for days? One becomes a knitting ninja. What other way could I stay sane without spending any money while sick for six days; I had to make sure I kept away from the computer or endless online shopping might ensue. So, I am knitting my way to a new winter scarf and if I get the real hang of it again, maybe a funky hat. I haven’t knitted since I was a teen but I’m doing fairly well so far. Ask me to purl right now and it’s not going to happen.
Since returning from New Orleans, things have been a bit topsy-turvy around Budget Bloggess and with life in general. I have been attempting to keep to a regular posting schedule along with doing three online courses at night. It’s been challenging to say the least. I’m planning to take some time this holiday weekend to get a plan in place and get some posts written and ready. Today’s post is an update/catch-up post.
Several weeks ago, Money Pincher and House of Tre nominated me for the Versatile Blogger Award. It’s an award for those you find inspiring and who display a “level of love” in their blog. Until I was nominated, I had no idea whatsoever that the VBA existed but it is a super cool way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
Seven Fun Facts About Me
- I have my horoscope and Danielle Laporte’s Truthbombs emailed to me every morning; I read them religiously and start my day this way.
- Not once in my life have I lived on my own, ever. I have lived with my parents until college, and then moved in with my boyfriend who became my husband, and now I am back with my parents again after getting divorced. I need a break from all these people! LOL.
- I live my life a quarter mile at a time…sorry couldn’t resist. I’ve raced cars at a track and know how to repair them. I have raced Porsche’s on a road course and as a silly college student, taken my modified Honda Civic down the quarter mile. The only thing quick was my reaction time; a modified 1996 Civic DX D16A takes 13 seconds to get down that quarter mile.
- I’ve mastered travelling alone; been to Montreal (road trip), Paris, New York X 2 and Hawaii many times on my own. The only thing I have not mastered is the single supplement fee.
- Disobeying a road closed sign – once in my life. I am a “by the rules” type a gal for the most part and I rarely disobey traffic signs. Years ago while trying to get to my parents place near Owen Sound, Ontario (in the dead of winter), I drove past the road closed sign and found out why it was closed – a lake of ice water across the road. I decided to back up, take a run at it and proceeded to get my lowered Honda Civic stuck. As miracles go on this empty backcountry road, an SUV full of 20 something’s happened by, all loaded out and proceeded to get me unstuck. Forever grateful to them.
- I have my M2 motorcycle license – do not ask.
- While travelling in Alberta, I came across a Moose in the middle of the road. I kept the car at a distance, did not honk the horn and sat for several minutes waiting for Mr. Moose to move.
Included in all this topsy turviness was my name change and I am happy to say that I’m officially me again! I am back to my very unique, not many people have it maiden name, thank goodness. My ex’s name was waaaaayyy too popular and it drove me nuts, the only saving grace was the shortness for signing credit card slips. Didn’t think of it but my maiden name is a shopping deterrent at 11 characters long! Ha ha! I’ve outfoxed myself.
Super crazy props go out to Tonya at Budget and the Beach for her episode of BABTV last week. Let’s just say that I laughed so much, hyenas would be envious. You have to check out her fun money tips; it will get you laughing for the day.
BATB TV: Tips to Save Money – Budget and the Beach
Getting Rich with Science – Mr. Money Mustache A very good way to throw down to a snarky comment nicely. Someone has to defend the air conditioning nazis. Yes, the commenter said “air conditioning nazis”. He believes all us budget minded folk who turn down own A/C to save money are crazy. Apparently we’re only saving $50. Hmmmm…think maybe the brain is frozen from too much A/C.
Spending Ban Roundups
It appears that a lot of us PF Bloggers have decided to venture into the world of no spends and shopping bans. In addition to my ban, there are other bloggers doing similar challenges. For some great ideas, check these out:
My First Ever Spending Ban – Let’s See If I Can Actually Do It! – Mo’Money Mo’Houses
The Art of Intentional Usage – The Shop My Closet Project
Know of anyone else doing a spending/shopping ban? Let me know, I’d love to read about it! Happy Thanksgiving (or Columbus Day), hope you have a fabulous weekend surrounded with family and friends!
Never miss a meaningful moment!
Inspiration and tips for living a simpler, joy-filled life. Sign up for my FREE newsletter.