Did you just get excited thinking I was going to talk football? Sorry, I am so not a football fan of either type – the Euros like to confuse us North Americans by calling soccer football. Either way, I find both extremely boring. So boys, I may bring you your beer but don’t expect me to sit and watch the game with you. 90 minutes of soccer game play, with no goals and a bunch of drama-ridden sissies that fall and grab their leg each time they can, not my idea of good time management. Now that I’ve just derailed feminism with my beer comment…the highlights of July Goals Update #2!
Even with the extreme heat we’ve been experiencing in the GTA, I’ve been out like a Tour de France cyclist trying to get in as much bike time as I can. We’ve had a dry spell in my area for the past week and I’m taking full advantage. I must add that the horseflys are taking advantage too. They are nasty little creatures! Once they latch onto you, if they manage to bite, they take a chunk of your skin with them. Ouch! I had fun trying to ride as if wolves were chasing me just to get away from the bugs! (and simultaneously swatting at them, which doesn’t work so well while riding). With it being so hot, I usually don’t go out until about 8PM to cycle for 30 min before the sun sets; that’s prime time for bugs.
Bugs, beer and boys aside, update #2 for July goals and the successes I’ve had:
- No clothing spend – PASS. No new clothing expenditures = success!
- No alcohol for 30 days – FAIL. I bought a bottle of wine last weekend, that I managed to make last through the weekend.
- Lose 6 pounds (get down to 130 pounds again) CURRENT WEIGHT: 134 pounds – IN PROGRESS. I’m making progress! The extreme heat wave in the GTA has made me resort to more water and less food. In all my insanity, I have managed to get out on my bike and do some laps around the neighbourhood in the evening hours.
- Increase car maintenance savings to $100/month (brakes have to be done soon which will invariably cost $2000) – PASS.
- Get a promotion at work/negotiate a raise and an extra week vacation – frugality only takes you so far, after which point you must defer to your God given skills to bring in more bacon (or tofu for vegetarians) – IN PROGRESS, still in progress. Can you tell its summer? Everyone is moving at lightning speed.
- Operation cupboard cleanout – PASS/IN PROGRESS. For my last grocery shop, no pantry items purchased. Only fruits, veggies, eggs and meat. I am still working my way through two boxes of crackers and several bags of rice. I have managed to eliminate a half box of pasta. The heat has made me not really want carbs.
All of this cupboard frugality makes me more aware of my food consumption. I am becoming a better estimator of how much food I do need and to not over purchase when I’m at the grocery store.
My Friday Night Lights
Friday nights are usually reserved for going out with friends, sitting on a patio and enjoying our relatively short Canadian summer. This is all provided you don’t blow your entertainment budget in one night. For the first time in quite a while, I turned down a girls night out.
My exact wording:
I would love to come but I don’t have the cash this month for an outing. Sorry! Trying to save for a few things means sacrifices to the entertainment and shopping budget.
Maybe next time! Have a great night out Ladies!
Normally, I would jump at any opportunity to get out with gal pals and enjoy a night on the town. Call it a priority change, I just don’t seem to desire the same type of night out as before. I no longer want to get shit faced, have some much younger than me individual hanging all over me, or have to wait 2 hours for a taxi to show up at 2AM. So, while everyone else is out, I’ll be enjoying the thunderstorms that will be rolling through the GTA to give us some relief from the heat.
Have you turned down a night out to save money?
Create a simple, beautiful life you LOVE.
Start creating a simpler, beautiful life you LOVE. Sign up for my FREE newsletter.