What would Carrie do?
[quote style=”boxed”]The Hamptons Jitney is like the bus to summer camp…only instead of singing songs everyone ignores each other and talks on their cell. Ep 217. Twenty-Something Girls vs. Thirty-Something Women[/quote]
Not everyone can hop the Hampton Jitney and head to the Hamptons for the weekend but for Canadians, it’s the Victoria Day Holiday weekend. In Ontario, this involves buying several cases of beer, packing up the family and/or friends and driving several hours north of the GTA (Greater Toronto) to escape the everyday and try to enjoy nature. Sitting hours in traffic, while being elbow to elbow with many other people on the lake = not my idea of fun. As a kid, I used to love going to cottage country but as the population of the GTA has gotten larger, so has the stressful pandemonium to get there on holiday weekends.
For a single gal, the possibilities are endless for a holiday weekend. Many of those possibilities can be quite expensive – like New York City expensive. I am foregoing the booze soaked, fine dining, cottage/spa weekend, shopping trip to the US, gamble all your money casino weekend for a more peaceful budget friendly weekend. That was a mouthful! These are the types of debt inducing weekends that many people go on just to escape reality. Guess what? You can escape reality for cheaper than that.
What’s a single gal to do for a holiday weekend on a budget?
- Homemade Mani/Pedi Spa Day – every girl has nail polish right?
- Read a good book while lounging in the backyard enjoying the sun and sipping a Long Island Iced Tea or two…
- Head to a local café and sit on the patio for a low cost lunch – Carrie taught us that even in an Oscar de la Renta dress, you can enjoy a cheap meal. Delicious food does not have to be expensive.
- Photograph the local sights – have an Instagram photo challenge with your friends.
- Hit up a conservation area for a hike, bike or run hour. Added bonus – include a picnic lunch.
- Have a budget BBQ at home with friends – remember to include cosmos and cupcakes. SATC inspired drink ideas here.
- Go for an endurance bike ride – cycle 50K, 75K, or maybe 100K!?
- Practice your tennis serve at a free local court or challenge friends to a match
- Walk or cycle along the waterfront or Yoga in the Park
- Hit a bucket of balls at the driving range – relatively cheap at $20 for a large bucket and an hours’ worth of time
- Watch fireworks in the local park for a small donation – if you’re lucky, you might see a firefighter or two!
- Movies in the Park for a food donation – what socially responsible gal wouldn’t want to help a fantastic cause? A fantastic local run business, Party Cinemas, regularly hosts Movies in the Park throughout Halton and the GTA.
- Wash the car – I find detailing my car fun…maybe I have OCD?
- Ultimate Challenge: See how many consecutive hours you can go without your Smartphone!
- Make it your mission to meet five new people over the holiday weekend. You must say Hello at a minimum!
Enjoy your holiday weekend!Photo Credit: yumsugar.com
Never miss a meaningful moment!
Inspiration and tips for living a simpler, joy-filled life. Sign up for my FREE newsletter.