Sitting in my home office with the TV blaring in the background, sun still shining late in the day, I am reminded that a quarter of the year has passed already. Can you believe its April and spring? It is time to check in on goals and successes.
I have spent most of the winter months sorting and purging my life’s possessions getting ready for the apocalypse of change coming in my life. In September 2013, it will be 3 years that I have been divorced, single and still living with my parents at their home. These three things are a real motivator to get your butt in gear and taking action toward goals.
You’re saying, big deal it’s the first quarter of the year, so what?
Remember when you were a kid and you did all those chores around the house and your parents would pay you an allowance? You would save up all that money in a jar or piggy bank because you had one thing that you wanted so badly. All your energy and all your focus for those months would go into doing every chore your very best so you could buy that new toy or book you were longing for. Or, you could go out to the movies with your friends and be able to buy the biggest bag of popcorn and get it smothered with extra butter!
That has not changed. As an adult, we focus all our time and energy on our jobs so we can be paid to finance our “dream” lifestyle or some crazy obsession we may have.
Here’s how I keep on track:
- Take an inventory of your goals. Here are a few of my measurable and major goals for 2013 and what I have achieved year to date. I keep them categorized as Personal (hobbies/passions), Financial (debt repayment/savings) and Career. [box type=”info”]It is important to make your goals quantifiable and give them a timeline so you have a mile marker for your progress.[/box]
- Live a minimalist life. I do not need stuff to make me happy. UPDATE: Half way there. Sell my Stuff – $775 SOLD, lots more to go. Complete this by April 2013. Next steps: Ebay.
- Two charity rides – Minimum 75K ride in addition to 50K Ride for Heart. UPDATE: Registered for 50K Ride for Heart June 2nd.
- Train/exercise min 4 times per week. UPDATE: I have been working out 4 times a week and have changed my diet significantly to get healthy again.
- Learn Portraiture/Studio lighting. UPDATE: Learning process started. Planning a portraiture photo shoot for April.
- Italy in September, complete second Photography Project. UPDATE: Trip postponed to 2014. My friend and I had a discussion and there was too much going on in both our lives to do this trip in 2013.
- What percentage of debt paid off by EOY – UPDATE: Purchased Quicken and am tracking my finances and debt repayment
- Increase emergency fund by 5%. UPDATE: 5% of what number exactly? Need to recalculate.
- Pay off Line of Credit by August 2014 – $24K UPDATE: $23K owing, aiming for Sept 2014 but financial software suggests Jan 2015 currently.
- Pay off debt to family by August 2014 – $11K. UPDATE: $8900 owing, Nov 2013 payoff date.
- Invest in myself! Education, take three new courses this year or enroll in one major course.
- Find my purpose/passion and make that my career by EOY. UPDATE: Still working on this!
- Accept my current job for what it is; keep doing my best until I can make another opportunity more geared towards my passions! Alternatively, transform the current one I am in!
2. Recognize successes and celebrate. I like to reward myself with a new book or a budget spa day.
3. Take Action! If you are not where you want to be with your goals, focus on what will get you there. To keep things simple, do not focus on all of your goals at once. If you are anything like me you will get overwhelmed easily and start thinking you will not achieve them. You want this to be a positive experience, carpe diem!