It’s getting down to crunch time. I’ve been unemployed for just over 3 months. I have two months worth of cash left to live on, with no idea when I’ll receive any employment insurance or find another job. When the going gets tough, the tough get to kicking some extra butt.
For the past 3 months, I’ve been searching for full-time work, interviewing, networking and planning next steps as a backup. With hundreds of candidates applying for the same jobs and only a few bites, it’s time to up my game. I’ve joked a few times that I may need to create a full-length feature film job application – I’m beginning to think that’s not far from the truth.
Enter the “Do More” Backup Plan
Casey Neistat rocks and he’s the king of DO MORE and MacGyverism. His enthusiasm is endless and I believe in his motto of DO MORE. You need to be constantly moving, shaking, learning and growing. If you’re not, it’s time to move on or up the ante.
I will continue to focus on finding full time work but will now work on securing a part time job and side hustles. I must get out of debt and bring my emergency fund to a “Nice Knowing You” level.
Here’s the plan:
- Secure a part-time job (or two) for evenings and weekends – I’m thinking Costco, Starbucks or another local retailer.
- Sell photography online through Shutterstock.
- Complete the 12-week Elite Blogging Academy to up my blogging game, provide more value, even better content and monetize.
- Cancel my home Internet OR secure much cheaper access (Teksavvy?) ($40/mth savings). Still working on a cost comparison but I do know I can go to the library and get free access.
- Reduce my mobile phone plan AGAIN. ($90/mth currently)
- Continue doing surveys for gift cards (groceries, books, and Starbucks).
Is to pay off my debt and create a stellar emergency fund, so that if necessary, I can walk away from a job without any worries of how I’m going to live. To create a “Nice Knowing You” or FU fund as many bloggers enjoy referencing. I’ve now learned that you can be hired and fired in a New York minute and it’s not cool to be without a backup plan. The goal is to get to this life situation and stay there – no more debt and always keep the emergency fund fully stocked.
There you have it. From now until the end of the year, I’m going to bust my butt to reach debt freedom, stock an emergency fund with at least $5K and score a new full-time gig by year end. It’s going to be challenging, it’s going to be a stretch. I’ve got this.
How many jobs have you had at once? What side hustles or other jobs would you suggest?
Create a simple, beautiful life you LOVE.
Start creating a simpler, beautiful life you LOVE. Sign up for my FREE newsletter.